This page will outline the steps necessary to setup the ability to digitally sign documents that require a signature using Acrobat Pro. This process serves as an official and legally binding signature which can be used when you are unable to physically sign a document. If you do not have Acrobat Pro and need assistance digitally signing a document, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org detailing what you need and OIS will attempt to assist you further.
To Request an InCommon Personal Digital Certificates (PDC) – Only done once every 18 months
- Navigate to the Certificate Manager https://certs.it.vt.edu (login with PID and PID PW)
- Click on InCommon Personal Digital Certificates.
- If you see a message about you can only have one active keypair at a time, you will need to revoke the existing keypair, before you can request a new keypair, see “To revoke a PDC” below.
- The certificate should be issued shortly. You will need to refresh your page until the status flips to FULFILLED. You may then download your PDC by clicking Action -> PKCS#12 Keypair. A password will be generated for your downloaded PDC. As the PDC downloads, the web page will update and display the password. Write it down or highlight and copy/paste it into a document so you can reference it. If you forget your password, you may download the PDC again and a new password will be generated.
Once you have the PDC – Only done once every 18 months
- Double click it
- Make sure the radio button is set to Current User and click the Next button
- Click the Next button
- Paste or type in the password from when you created the PDC and click the Next button
- Click the Next button
- Click the Finish button
Using the PDC to sign a PDF document – Done each time you want to sign
- Open the PDF you wish to sign with Adobe Acrobat 2017 or 2019 (Reader DC will not do this)
- Scroll to where you see the signature line where you wish to sign
- Click “Prepare Form” from the menu on the right or clicking Tools -> Prepare Form from the top
- Select the document you have open and wish to sign and click the Start button
- Click Add digital signature button (right-most icon below, rectangle with ink pen)
- Drag the cursor (box will follow without having to click) where you wish to place the signature and left click
- Click Tools -> Edit PDF
- Click the select tool (Icon of a hand)
- Click the signature box you placed in step six
- Your digital certificate should already show by default. Click Continue
- Check the box that says “Lock document after signing” and click the “Sign” button
- Save the new document